Searching online can be confusing, when trying to find the best joint supplements for dogs.
There are so many brands in the marketplace now it is becoming harder to trust and find dog supplements that will help your pooch. Navigating the world of joint supplements for dogs can be mind-boggling. Never hesitate to enlist the help of your veterinarian and ensure that your pet is eating a healthy balanced diet. We all want our pets to be happy and healthy and that is why we dedicate our time to providing regular exercise for them and, from time to time, we notice some behavioural changes in our pets as they age and go through different life stages. Joint care supplement for dogs can help prevent dog joint pain and maintain their mobility, which is always a concern for any pet owner. Joint supplements are often used for dogs with arthritis or for those with a high chance of developing it and are available in many different forms.
Here at GudFur we have a powder and liquid form, making it easier to add to your pets’ meals. Savvy dog guardians know that the earlier you start maintaining your dog’s joint health the better the long-term results will be. Joint supplements are safe to use alongside most other medications but if you have any concerns please speak to your vet.
You will discover several different supplements on the market and you might be wondering what supplement would be best to give a dog with arthritis. It important to note that not all supplements are equal so please read the label and be cautious of the review websites. Joint supplements work by soothing stiff joints, with a natural anti-inflammatory action, whilst keeping the joint fluid healthy to ease movement. They also help feed cartilage to keep it strong and smooth. If you are wondering why supplements make these claims it is because of the ingredients that are used.
Here are a few ingredients you will find in our GudFur supplements:
- Methyl Sulphonyl Methane (MSM) is known for improving the strength of bones and joints in pets.
- D-Glucosamine which is used to treat a painful condition caused by the inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage
- Green Lipped Mussel has been found to have several benefits such as supporting long-term joint health and repair
- Chondroitin Sulphate, combined with glucosamine for dogs, can help to give extra joint protection and is also an important building block for cartilage.
- Manganese is an important part of many enzymes and plays a role in the health and maintenance of bone and cartilage in joints.
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is responsible for the sticky consistency of joint fluid as it retains water. This acid promotes lubrication and strengthens connective tissue while also decreasing joint inflammation
- Harpagophytum, also called devil's claw, possesses an anti-inflammatory action.
Key active ingredients are what separates the best joint supplements from other simpler supplements. Unfortunately, many of the more well-known supplement brands claim to offer complete support for your dog but only include a handful of key ingredients in their products.
You may be searching for dog arthritis supplements or joint mobility supplements for dogs when trying to find the right supplement for your pet. In the research we carried out there seem to three main reasons for this:
- You suspect that your pet has arthritis
- Your pet is getting on in years and starting to show signs of joint problems
- They might have suffered an injury and your vet may have recommended a joint supplement
No matter what the reason, dog joint supplements are safe to use alongside other common medication to provide pain relief and slow the progression of arthritis. Wear and tear happens throughout our lives as well as in our pets, which means that joint problems are common in older dogs and if they have had an injury in the past this does increase the chance of arthritis in the future.
One question we keep getting asked is “when should I start giving my dog a joint supplement?” We would always recommend that you speak to your vet first, besides you; they are the ones who are able to identify any joint issues. Keep your dog healthy by managing their diet and giving them regular exercise. If you are still considering using a supplement for your dog make sure you read the ingredients and follow the instructions. Our GudFur range of pet supplements work best over time and with continued use. So be patient and don’t expect miracles and, as I have seen in my own Labrador, it took a few weeks before we saw any noticeable change in his behaviour and now he is a very happy healthy dog, even though he is 9yrs old he is behaving like a teenager again.
We welcome any feedback so if you found this article of interest or would like to share your own stories with us, please comment below and we will contact you.